Salutations From the Other Half
As Rachel has so kindly pointed out, I am Stuart, the other half of Ambidexteri. I’m excited to be actively pursuing another writing project, especially in the midst of the busyness of the senior year of college since this forces me to write more often. Not to mention that I’m looking forward to working with Rachel again.
Rachel and I have collaborated on a number of projects before, mainly screenplays, which has been a great experience for me as a writer—it’s taught me a number of things about my own writing and how other people function creatively (if you want to know more, you’ll have to stay tuned—we’ll be writing about that later on, which means you should follow us). I started writing in middle school and continued to do so after a great deal of encouragement from English teachers and a few friends, one of whom is Rachel. What I must say is unique about Rachel is her patience with my work. Sure, she enjoys reading what I manage to put out, but she also sends it back dripping in red ink. She doesn’t murder my writing; she loves it in a way a mother loves her child, nurturing but harsh when she needs to be.
A few things about me:
– Ambidexteri is Latin (more to follow on that)
– I’m also a senior in college, majoring in Physics and minoring in English
– My writing is primarily fiction (for adults), poetry, and non-fiction, but I’ve dabbled in screenwriting and a little playwriting
– I am headed to graduate school to study astrophysics
– Last month, I ate lunch with Margaret Atwood. Of all things, we talked physics.
– I recently read Oryx and Crake and have started plugging through The Year of the Flood
– I love movies—before I hit physics in high school, I was certain I wanted to be a film director and even shot a few movies of my own
– Some favorite authors of mine: Marie de France, Chaucer, Joseph Conrad, Thomas Hardy, J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov
– Some favorite poets of mine: Shakespeare, Keats, Walt Whitman, Robert Frost, Seamus Heaney, Louise Gluck, Maxine Kumin, Billy Collins
– Some favorite playwrights: Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, Friedrich Schiller, Tennessee Williams, Tom Stoppard
Rachel has already mentioned a few of our foci. Our hope is that this blog can provide a forum for discussion about the nature of reading and writing good literature.
Coming up next: a review of In the Next Room